Saturday, November 12, 2016

Before Nepal...

I have hesitated weighing in on the US election. However, after reading posts, articles, and friend's personal accounts since the outcome, I thought I would share my own thoughts here.

As a Christ follower, American, and mission driven woman, I have always exercised my right to vote. It's a right not all have, a right women fought long and hard for, a right that can ultimately make changes- possibly. On the same side of that coin, however, is my very deep and personal belief that we live in a system of fallen and broken people, and my ultimate trust is not in any government, rather solely in God and His plans.

This election, more than any I've ever witnessed, has left a greater, deeper brokenness than I think most of us realized existed. It's polarized everyone regardless of economic status, gender, race, political party. There's a fear and hurt evoked, a tangible guardedness. Friends who I love and admire have made statements I never thought capable of escaping their mouths. Disrespect and vitriol are the norm, it seems. It's sad, very much so.

Here's the tough thing for me to comprehend- we are still who we were before we cast a ballot, right? I mean, in exercising our right to vote for who we personally believed was best to carry our nation for the next four years, did something inherently change about our character and core being? Because that's how we are treating one another. What happened to respecting and honoring differences, because that's who we are. Even the best of friends have differences in opinions, ins't that what makes us humans? What has happened that we are suddenly cast as a lump of human snotballs based only on who we voted for?

Entering the election, I held the same beliefs I do now. My vote is always for humans, for freedoms, for truth, for community, for helping, healing, equality. LOVE- my vote is always for love. And this election seems to have removed LOVE from the equation. A division foretold.

I've watched all of this play out from the very beautiful, peaceful, deep community of Nepal. And from this distance, 8,000 miles, I am hurting for so many and praying nonstop. We cannot change the election results, and frankly we created this- by choosing both candidates more than once. If we don't like the results, let's change ourselves. Let us be the one who stands up for the the wrongs we feel have happened. Let us lean further into our community, you know the folks you just loved and embraced a week ago? Let us direct our kids and family on WHY we feel what we feel and make a difference for the future. My friend posted this, and I love it:  


There's more to all of us than a ballot we cast. Let's go back to that, see what comes next before we knee jerk ourselves into lost friendships and bitterness. Let's remember the importance of acceptance and love.




No comments:

Post a Comment